Once you visit the top 10 neurosurgeons in India one thing is obvious that they stand apart from the crowd. It does mean the medical speciality that deals with the diagnosis and treatment of medical conditions with various injuries to the spinal column, peripheral nerves or brain to all parts of the body. In the domain of neurology you deal with both adults along with kids. It all depends upon the condition as the doctor may opt for a surgical or non-surgical option.
The post-operative care once you have undertaken the surgery
Once the surgery is over for the next 24 hours you will be in ICU or a recovery room. At the same time a post-operative scan will be undertaken at this point of time. The nurses are going to stand by your whereby they are going to repeat the neurological examinations and a the same time providing you with post-operative medicines. This might not include too much pain medications as the doctors would like to see you bright and healthy. Steroids along with antibiotics are a strict no at this point of time.
You will be allowed to drink a few hours once the surgery is over with each meal your diet will be advanced. If things go well you are going to back to the normal activities once the surgery is over. It all boils down to your condition as a physical therapist would work with you. During the next couple of days your activity levels will increase till you reach a condition where you would go home. At this point of time you will avail the services of an entire medical team. Pretty much on the lines of Parkinson’s treatment in India they will work in harmony and device a treatment plan for you.
The advanced stage of neurosurgery
In recent times gamma knife surgery has gone on to hog the limelight. Here patients who are coping with brain disorders or tumours do not have to go under the knife. This would be to avail relief from radiation therapy. During this course of surgery the doctor would be able to provide 200 beams of light to the tumours. Though this procedure is not known to a lot of people, but it has been in existent for a considerable amount of time. The doctors have been providing this treatment for a long time. In the traditional surgery you have to use a knife, but in gamma surgery that is not the case. You would never need to open the skull up.
The neurological methods
The main objective of neurological test would be to diagnose and detect the various type of nerve disorders
- Neurological examinations- the status and functions of the speech needs to be determined. This does mean the mental status along with the conditions of the infections
- Brain scans- this does not stand limited to the MRI, PET or CT scan. With the help of brain scans you can figure out the exact location along with size of the brain tumour
- EMG- with the help of the test you can figure out the spinal cord procedures pertaining to diseases whereby how much nerve damage has gone on to occur. All the electrical activity are being recorded
The popular type of neurological procedures
- Laminectomy- during this course of procedure the surgeon goes on to remove the lamina that does appear to be one of the bones that makes up the spinal column. Normally conservative methods fail to churn in the desired outputs and you can adopt this procedure. Rather than an emergency procedure this appears to be an elective procedure.
- Craniotomy- during this procedure you go on to eradicate a lesion in the brain whereby an opening in the skull is made. For brain removal tumour this appears to be one of the most common types of surgeries that are performed.
- Rhizotomy- Here you go on to cut the nerve roots which makes an entry into the spinal cord. During the procedure the patient lies down and this is undertaken under the dose of general anaesthesia. As they happen to be sensory nerves they are not going to stimulate any muscle movement.
- Meningocele repair- You can normally term it as a repair to the spine or spinal membranes that occur at the time of birth. With the type of surgery you go on to close the abnormal opening which reduces the chances of infection. At the same time the integrity of the spinal column along with the tissue inside is preserved. The nerves along with the nerve tissue are going to be exposed. Close to 80 % of such surgeries occur at the lower back and some people go on to term it as spina bifida. As the neural tissue might be exposed problems may arise in due course
- Stereotactic radiosurgery- a precise beam of radiation is being provided to destroy the tumour of your brain. With this procedure you can remove the brain tumours along with certain type of benign tumour. For all types of radiation treatment this works best. The tumour is not removed during the course of procedure but it distorts the DNA. These cells lose their ability to retain and maintain the fluid levels. Over a period of time the shrinking of the tumour does go on to take place. This normally goes on to take 18 months to 2 years. In case of malignant tumours it might take close to a few months as the cells tend to grow very fast.
Why India proves to be the best choice
Brain tumour surgery cost in India stands among the low bracket of the world. During each year there has been a steady increase in patients coming from all over the world to seek medical treatment in India. Not only the low cost is responsible for this, but the state of art infrastructure with the quality of the elite class of hospitals is responsible for this. In India there is zero waiting lists