Beautiful Lake Constance is the largest lake in Germany. It is known as The Bodensee. The lake was formed during the Ice Age when glaciers carved a path through the landscape. It is a freshwater lake and is home to many species of fish. The lake has been a tourist spot for centuries and is still home to royalty.
Bird’s Eye View
A unique way to see the lake is a zeppelin flight from the Friedrichshafen airport. The flight will give you a bird’s eye view of the beauty below. However, if being airborne is not your favourite thing, you can take a tour of the zeppelin at the airport.
Treat Yourself like Royalty: Visit These Destinations on the Lake Shore
- Friedrichshafen is a lakeside town that you will not want to miss. This lakeshore city was the summer vacation spot of the kings until 1918, and you will feel like royalty as you take in the breath-taking views of Lake Constance.
- Be sure to take the short walk by the palace, the Schloss Hofen, the current home of Duke Friedrich von Wurttemberg. The property is his primary residence and is not open to the public, but the church next door is open to visitors. It is a stunning example of the region’s baroque architecture. You will definitely want to take a peek at the magnificent marble altar.
- Lake Constance covers a large picturesque area for touring. The city of Konstanz is another popular lakeshore destination. Konstanz is an eye-catching city with its many cathedrals, old houses and stores. Konstanz provides access to Lake Constance’s beaches. A Mediterranean feel permeates the community, and you will run into tourists from around the globe.
- Lighthouses dot the lakeshore, and photo opportunities await you there.
Fun in the Sun Activities at Lake Constance
- Cycling is a very popular activity at Lake Constance. A cycle route follows along the lakeshore at Konstanz.
- Fishing is another very popular activity at Lake Constance. Thousands of tons of fish are caught each year. Protective measures are in place to protect certain fish from becoming extinct.
- Lounging on the beach is always a popular option for fun in the sun. The Mediterranean feel of the lake promotes basking in the sun with friends or alone with a favourite book.
- No trip to Lake Constance would be complete without a sunset sail. The beauty will take your breath away.
- Cruises of the lake are available. Shopping, sightseeing, and fun await at the lakeshore cities.
- Windsurfing is another popular activity for on the lake fun.
- Taking time away on a sailboat is a leisure activity that you will not want to miss. The peaceful rocking of the water will wash all your stress away.
Whether you are lounging on the beach or sailing on a tour boat, Lake Constance is an ideal vacation destination. A leisurely stroll through villages, listening to musicians play their tunes in the street, and fine dining on German cuisine are among the pleasures at Lake Constance that will make lifelong memories for you and your companions.